ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DELTA or MA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indecisive lady

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: DELTA or MA? Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm a CELTA qualified teacher with a few years experience and I am currently based in the UK. I'm debating the merits of the DELTA and the MA in Applied Linguistics and TEFL. The aim is to both improve as a teacher and improve permanent job prospects.
Has anyone any opinions to offer?
Thank you!
btownsend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: DELTA or MA Reply with quote

Hello,

As you have some teaching experience, it strikes me that the MA is the better qualification to go for, so that you add depth to your theoretical background. The academic qualification will probably open more doors for you.

But practical considerations may also come into play. The DELTA is more likely to be both cheaper and available, say, as an evening course.

I think the DELTA was more useful in the days when the masters' level qualification, in this field, was not widely available but now you have a wide choice of courses and study formats. So, if you can, I'd go for the MA.

Hope this helps!
Ella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have to agree with Brenda. It really depends on what you are after. Master's courses are definitely more expensive, time consuming and provide you with something more solid than DELTA courses. A word of warning, it is very useful to go for Master's with some linguistic background, some subjects do require in depth knowledge and understanding of the English language, definitely above your original CELTA qualification and even practical experience. Good luck.
zark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what type of work you would like to do long term in this career.

DELTA for language schools and DOS positions. MA/M.Ed. for university and EAP programs. Frankly, the life of a university/college instructor is FAR less stressful than that of a DOS. I'd do the graduate degree.

And, really, DELTA isn't all that well known - or respected - in many parts of the world. If you want a shorter program - try doing a PGCE instead. It will qualify you for many more opportunties than a DELTA would.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: