ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice about teaching in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Advice about teaching in China Reply with quote

Just because you have a contract, does not mean it will be honored.
DO NOT FORGET WHERE YOU ARE!
Make lots of friends.
If anyone objects to your questions, do not work for them. Period.
Lawsuits take forever, if they are even heard.
Chinese people will negotiate/barter, and omit details, to get what they want.
DO NOT SURRENDER YOUR PASSPORT TO EMPLOYERS!
Do not say or do anything to make the chinese government, look bad.
If the students do not study, don't be afraid to fail them.
RoseV8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: More Advice About Teaching in China Reply with quote

Chinese parents are a teachers, and their own, worst enemy. Everyone thinks their child is a budding Einstein and woe betide any teacher who dares to point out weaknesses or suggest how to overcome them.

I have had parents complain that their super intelligent child is bored because the lessons are geared toward the other inferior children who make up most of the class.The obvious answer is to move their child up a grade.But no, that would never do, because then their child would be with equals and no longer be the star pupil.They seriously expect that the curriculum be altered to please their child, who is nowhere near as smart as they think, at the expense of the rest of the class.So called " private language centers" will often do this to please influential parents.

I have a one to one class with an exceptional 7 year old who speaks 4 languages fluently. plays piano and violin well, and can hold a conversation in English better than a lot of native speaking adults. I am constantly approached by parents wanting their child to join this class. A typical example was a child presented as
" brilliant and having an excellent standard of English" by her parents.The girl proceeded to spout a long list of English words but could not give the meaning of any or use a single one in a sentence.

I offer this as an example of what many Chinese parents consider a good command of the English language. The ability to say a huge number of words, parrot fashion, with no idea at all what they mean or how to use them.
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: More Advice About Teaching in China Reply with quote

RoseV8 wrote:
Chinese parents are a teachers, and their own, worst enemy. Everyone thinks their child is a budding Einstein and woe betide any teacher who dares to point out weaknesses or suggest how to overcome them.

I struggle to think of a place on earth where this isn't the case haha...
In Japan we call them Monster Parents.
kehenglish

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For great, free, printable teaching resources such as flashcards, handouts and phonics etc visit www.keh-english.com
antigonedd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Advice about teaching in China Reply with quote

chuckles wrote:
Just because you have a contract, does not mean it will be honored.
DO NOT FORGET WHERE YOU ARE!
Make lots of friends.
If anyone objects to your questions, do not work for them. Period.
Lawsuits take forever, if they are even heard.
Chinese people will negotiate/barter, and omit details, to get what they want.
DO NOT SURRENDER YOUR PASSPORT TO EMPLOYERS!
Do not say or do anything to make the chinese government, look bad.
If the students do not study, don't be afraid to fail them.

Hi chuckles,
Many thanks for your useful advices. However, I don't understand completely. Sad Please give more explanations and reasons. It seems not comfortable to be teacher in China.
Many thanks advance
RoseV8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: More Advice About Teaching in China Reply with quote

Obviously Chuckles is referring to the less than reputable ESL employment agencies here in China. These people advertise widely on the internet and often have very impressive websites, despite the fact, that as likely as not they operate out of a cupboard in somebody's spare room.

Applicants are asked to hand over their passport on arrival so the agent can obtain a work permit, these are not returned. A job is organized with a "school" where wages and conditions are below standard and pay goes through the agent rather than being paid directly into the teacher's bank account, which is the normal practice.The pay is often months behind and since they are still holding the passport there is little that can be done.

If you are offered a job by an agent insist on the name and address of the school you are going to work for then check it out on the internet yourself before leaving your home country.All paperwork should be organized before you leave if the employer is genuine.

The English teaching industry is a huge market in China and every Tom, Dick, and Harry is keen to get into it, so much so that the authorities can't keep up.The last survey I saw had more unhappy ESL teachers here than happy ones. Don't let that put you off, just use the same commonsense that you would use when visiting any strange country and of course the number one rule is DON"T GIVE YOUR PASSPORT TO ANYONE.

Serious crime is rare in China but the small time con is alive and well.
chuckles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a wonderful time, teaching in China. No conflicts, with parents, of any kind. The students loved me. I followed my own advice, and things went well. There are unscrupulous schools, but just like everything else, you have to shop around. I maintain that the number one thing you can do to make your experience, a good one, is to make a lot of friends. I got good references from every school I worked at, and I am still in contact with the staff, at some of these schools. You should also do some research on the history, and customs, if you plan on teaching, in China. I discovered that food is a big deal, in China, because so many starved to death, under Mao. So if you get invited to dinner, you better have a really good reason, for saying no. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that a lot of what I had been taught about China, was B.S. Teaching in China can be a very rewarding, and fun experience. If you make a lot of friends, and do your job well, without bitching about it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: