ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American in Bali, just starting out and need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannymak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: American in Bali, just starting out and need help Reply with quote

Hello all!!! Surprised

First thing to let you know is that I have a LEGIT 2-year Associate's Degree in Social Science. That said, I am aware that having a Bachalor's degree would be a HUGE help in visas, etc... But thats neither here nor there at the moment.

My profile before I ask my questions, so you know a little about me: 8)

USA nationality
MALE 26, single
Associates Degree
Easy going and GREAT people skills
NO TEACHING EXPERIENCE

I left the US of A in May 2007 on a sailboat after quitting my job of 4 years at AT&T Wireless to take a loooong holiday. Got off the boat in Gibraltar and flew straight to Bangkok. Since then I've just been taking my time across SE Asia and I'm now in Bali... Ive decided that I would love to teach English somewhere in Asia. I have done a lot of internet searching (including many hours on this site) looking up what countries I will have the greatest success (financially and for experience sake), but I still have some questions after reading. Also, the GuestHouse I'm staying in is owned by a nice UK gentleman (who I've told about my goal teaching in Asia) who also runs a bonafided English School, and he has allowed me to meet many of his students, and has actually left me completely alone for several hour lessions to teach (talk to) his students, some with adults and some with teenagers. They have like me, and it has also given me a feel for teaching. I have visited homes and the Korean Consulate to give these lessions. He has mentioned he wants to sit down and have a serious talk with me, but he still wants me to go to a bigger class in Ubud to check out how he runs a hotel training class. I do NOT have any TEFL (or equivalent) so I assume if he really offers me a job it will be cash-in-hand per lession, under the table.. Heres where the questions come>>> (please feel free to answer any or all, or to just give your imput)

1) Is this worth considering?? That would mean I would be teaching illegally (according to what I have read, I DEFINETLY need a TEFL for visa purposes)?

2) With my current situation (Associate's Degree/no TEFL) what is the best/easiest country to get a job teaching?? Pay is not the most important factor becuase I have some money saved and I'm also just starting..

3) What is the CHEAPEST LEGIT TEFL/CELTA/TESOL that I could take somewhere here in SE Asia, and NOT online??

Cool I have a few good friends in Korea/China and my friend in China suggested I get a FAKE Bachelor's Degree. Is that just plain stupid???

5) Can you list the Countries in Asia where I can get a LEGAL job teaching with an Associate's Degree?? I hate to even ask this again, but I hear so many different versions of peoples interpretation.... Do they require a TESOL as well??

Thanks for anyones help!!! When I get a job I will make sure I dont forget about this site and give you all a detailed description of what happens....
noramobrien

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Danny

I have a degree from way back, last Jan I did a 4-week course with TEFL International in Ban Phe, Thailand and got fully recognised 120 hour TESOL..........best experience and fun ever and I learned heaps...I got help with a job as they had guys come to the college and interview us, got a job with American college in Bangkok and taught there for 6 months until I moved on......all easy. Highly recommend this course - great training, practice in local schools, job help in Thailand and heaps of fun......they arrange accommodation and everything and it's at the beach! (choose the hotel option!)

Anyway - reckon you can't go wrong with this...don't lie to Thai officials or you'll go to jail...serious stuff. Degree is required for work permit in Thailand- not sure if associate degree will do it - better check on-line or with TEFL Int. ......or employer will do it all for you after you start work....good luck!!
canuckophile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Illegal teaching Reply with quote

It cannot be emphasized too strongly that in many countries, you will be ARRESTED and HELD IN PRISON until you pay an often hefty fine for illegal teaching. Not necessarily such a good idea, eh?

And note that you are at anyone's mercy for bribes (or the school can simply decide not to pay what they agreed to) because you are there illegally.

What you are doing isn't just falsifying a resume, as it would be in North America. You are violating another country's immigration and visa rules, which are felonies in almost all countries.

BE CAREFUL. Some countries don't require 4 year degrees. Better to go there and be safe.

G'luck.
dannymak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!!!

Thank you both for your comments!!! Its funny you mention TEFL int in Ban Phe because that is the BEST (cheapest and looks pretty legit) course ive found thus far!!!!

Yea, I've done a lot more online research since this last post and realize that teaching ''illegally'' is not an option for me at this point.

I've found out that I definetly dont need a 4 year degree to teach english here in Indonesia or for the work permit, BUT WHAT OTHER COUNTRIES ARE LIKE THIS????

thx
HenanMike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a 4-year B.A. to teach in China. I have met several teachers here who don't even pretend to have a degree (or EFL training) but still get plenty of jobs AND, most importantly, a work visa and resident permit.
dannymak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your reply!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: