ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terminate Contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crueckert

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Terminate Contract Reply with quote

Robert G wrote:
I have basically given up teaching at my current school . . . What are the implications regarding terminating a contract?

Hi Robert,

First you need to take a look at your contract (if you have one); it should include some kind of stipulation about terminating a contract.

If you don't have a contract, then you need to think about how much you trust the school that you are working for. Worst case scenario- you quit... what could they do to you? Do they have your passport (this once happened to me; they weren't going to give it back to me if I left) or a key to your apartment? Call me a bit paranoid, but you're better off safe than sorry, right?

Chances are, nothing will happen to you. Act professionally, give them a reason for quitting, give enough notice (1 month?), and let them save face.

Once you quit, you'll also need to change some of the details on your visa and foreign experts permit so that your old school is no longer responsible for you (this is often what schools are worried about- that you'll leave and their name will still be on your documents).

Respect them and they should respect you. There are a lot of cowboy schools out there, but there are also a lot of very honest people out there, too.

Your other option is trying to make it work. Perhaps you need a teaching assistant to take care of disciplinary problems? Maybe you need different materials? Perhaps having access to more resources would be beneficial?

Good luck!

Carol
crueckert@eslemployment.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb
btownsend

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Ending a contract Reply with quote

Robert G wrote:
I have basically given up teaching at my current school . . . What are the implications regarding terminating a contract?

I am a little perplexed by your question, Robert. All employees have the right to leave a post. Normally the basis for doing this is agreed by both sides in a contract of employment that stipulates a notice period. So in theory all you have to do is tender your resignation in writing and then work out the notice period. You are not bound to give any reason. If you have no contract then feel free to walk away without serving out notice and without giving any reasons.

If you feel that the it is impossible to work out the notice period stipulated in yur contract, then you risk being in breach of the agreement. How important that breach is likely to be depends on the circumstances. If you wish to leave summarily then I suggest you request an interview with your employer, state that you cannot continue to teach students who do not wish to learn and ask if you can be released without notice. If the employer refuses then you will have to decide what the consequences would be if you broke the terms of your contract. Do you need a reference from this employer? Can he or she harm your prospects of future employment?

So, if you decide to work out your notice, all you have to do is manage until that is done. But don't allow yourself to be stresssed by this situation. Take the necessary steps and move on to something fulfilling. Good luck!
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Terminate Contract Reply with quote

Robert G wrote:

Robert G,

Carol and Brenda have both offered you some excellent advice.

In my own experience, breaking a contract on disagreeable terms can end up badly if you will require good letters of reference from your present/previous job(s) to get the next ones, especially in a country that is not your own. However, if you've already spoken to the new employer, and they've made an acceptable offer of employment (in writing, of course) then you might be okay in terminating the contract of your present job.

Just remember, anytime you decide to list a former job on your vita, you are giving your potential new employers the right to "check" your credentials by calling old employers. If you decide to simply omit the old place of work from your vita, some schools [like universities] might consider this a kind of fraud (if discovered), while others might just ask why you have a gaping "hole" of time in your vita. You'll want to consider your answer carefully if the real answer is "My last boss was a jerk" or "I don't deal well with unruly children."

So, give your choice some careful consideration. It's unfortunate, but sometimes we just get stuck in crappy jobs and have to stick it out until our contract expires. Hopefully, that's not the kind of situation you are in.

If you have already obtained a firm job offer from a different employer, you could try negotiating with your present one in order to try and improve your conditions. You could say, I wish to leave this job (don't tell them to "where") for the following reasons but I'll stay if you would consider correcting the following issues . . . and then give him/her your concerns (new class, etc.). Would they be willing to put it in writing? Certainly not a guarantee, but maybe worth a shot if you are definitely planning to leave anyway.

Just remember the metaphor about burned bridges if you decide to burn one.

Good luck and let us know how your situation turns out!

Lee
http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: