ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Payment for Jobs??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westemjay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Payment for Jobs?? Reply with quote

I have been offered an ESL job at "Kingston International School" in Athens, Greece.
They have requested (by email) a "deposit" of 400 euros from me, before a contract is even presented to me.
I have tried to find out if the school is genuine, but to no avail so far.
According to the advert (on this site on March 23rd.) they are paying good salaries etc etc etc
Does the school even exist?
Is it a scam?

Any advice appreciated

Michael
btownsend

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Deposit required Reply with quote

Michael,

Clearly you need to very cautious here. I can't see any justification in a school asking a teacher for a deposit of money. Do they say why this is required? No mention is made of this in the ad. Although no telephone number is provided in the ad, there is an e-mail address. I suggest you e-mail the school and ask why they require this "deposit". Point our that the school is in fact promising to pay the teacher's air fare so it is the school, not the teacher, that should be putting money up front. Also, you could ask them to supply you with the names and telephone numbers of some current teachers so that you can call them for verification of the school's status, working conditions etc. If you don't a get satisfactory response you will be able to draw your own conclusions. But on no account send any money!

Good luck,
Brenda.
HenryTeach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. There are hundreds of schools in Athens and none of them charge. So when one comes along that does I'd avoid it like the plague.
westemjay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks heaps to those who responded to my questioins re the so-called "Kingston International School" in Athens, Greece.

I really appreciate your input, & I've taken it on board.

Once again, many thanks

Michael
teacherbea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Greece Reply with quote

Hi
I had the same experience, same school. I was looking to travel to Europe and answered that ad. As soon as I read about the deposit, 400 Eur. Shocked I told them that I was not interested. Please do not send any $$$$
You should not have to pay. I told them that I was taking a risk by leaving everything behind too... did you get the 13 questions interview? I got it from a Dr something ...? I wonder how easy it is to post a job on the site? Confused

Good luck
Teacher B
hasso

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Kingston mae international school in Athens, Greece. Reply with quote

Hello All,

Two days ago I got a job in Kingston mae international school in Athens, Greece. They asked me to deposit 950 euros and sent me one page visa form which I was supposed to fill in send it back to them. Of course it was mentioned that they are going to refund me as soon as I get there. Note the one page visa form on which there is no space to put your signature and to my surprise it does not require to fill in your first name. Of course, I am not going to send them anything. The only thing I want to know is whom must I submit all the letters and documents to get them and others like them out of such sties.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Nigerian scam Reply with quote

See the thread below

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=5122&highlight=#5122

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: