ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching the present continuous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL to Adult Learners...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Teaching the present continuous. Reply with quote

I'm on a refresher course and need to teach something to my peers on the course. I'm thinking about teaching the present continuous. Any ideas, suggestions, material on the best way I could teach it. I don't want to just give them exercise after exercise. I would like to have the students actively using it.

Last edited by lali on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
btownsend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Teaching present continuous Reply with quote

Hello,

This lends itself to an activity lesson and that's always a good idea because physical involvement is integral to "whole-brain" learning. Have a list of actions for students to mime. Have each student mime the action in front of the class and get the group to shout out he/she's ----ing. Next divide into groups of three or four and have the groups mime something more complicated involving several actions: have the group shout out each action until they arrive at the final stage, for example: they're making an omelette; changing a wheel.

Hope this helps!
fischeredward

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: present continous Reply with quote

Here's a start regarding the subject matter for present continous. Perhaps someone else can devise actual implementation using groups as Dr. Brenda suggests in an earlier reply. Mime is always useful since body language can become an adjunct to straight verbal communication:

Everyone is familiar with their own bodies and senses. The heart is beating, the heart beats, the ears are hearing, the ears hear, tongues taste, noses smell/breathe/snore, eyes see, etc. Fingers are touching, feet/legs are walking/running/dancing.

Body parts and functions relate to first person experiences that just about anyone can identify with. After the students leave the classroom they are reminded about what they've learned with every breath they take.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL to Adult Learners... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: