ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeing out a contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadesOfSolomon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Seeing out a contract Reply with quote

I've recently begun working in Korea on a year long contract. However, I have some severe family issues and am being pressured to return to my home country, only 2 months into my contract. I don't want to ask my employer for fear of sounding until things have been clarified to me, but could anyone tell me what the ramifications of pulling out of a contract at this early stage be? Would it even be possible?
St. George

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: DOLLARS Reply with quote

Well, you really need to see someone in authority, within the Company, who will be sympathetic to your case.

I have no experience of Koreans but I have dealt a lot with Arabs and bribery works with them if you don't know anyone of influence.

$500 might do the trick, if nothing else works.

If they have paid your airfare etc they may demand their money back, so before you pay anybody $500, check this out first.

Hope this helps.

St. G
ShadesOfSolomon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The matter is of some urgency, but I'm hesitant to ask my supervisor because it'd basically be signalling my intention to bail, and I'm not sure yet if it'd be 100% necessary. The contract requires me to give 3 months notice, however, and unfortunately that simply isn't going to be possible if I need to leave. I'll have to leave within days.

Would anyone else have any advice, or been in a similar situation?
canuckophile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Be considerate of the employer Reply with quote

I've been in Korea more than six years (forget the suggestion on bribery, BTW - this is not the Mid East)

The cultural differences are enormous, and it's difficult for us to speak directly to Koreans about any issues involving bad news or problems (One big reason why you never hear any bad news/problems until the last possible milli-second... they don't like to talk about them)

In this case, though, I think you need to give a 'hint' to the employer. A VERY subtle and gentle hint - you can just say you have had very bad news from your family, and you aren't sure what will happen

Then if worst comes to worst and you have to go home suddenly, they will have had some small warning.

Koreans will know how to interpret this . And even if it seems very last minute to you, Korea is land of balli-balli, last minute everything - they are used to this.

Even if it is not a family problem, they don't expect you to give all the details - this is a family-oriented society and it is acceptable for you to bail for family reasons (well, usually - I did hear of one guy whose school tried to refuse him an absence to attend his FATHER's funeral - saying 'westerners don't have close families anyway' - but I think this is rare and most Koreans would be shocked and embarrassed to hear of a school treating someone this way)

And you WILL NOT likely get your last month's salary - they will withhold it for airfare. SOrry - this is legit - in North America, people may feel sorry for your circumstances, but no one is going to throw money your way when you did not (or could not) do your job.

MAIN THING IS (if you want to come back to Korea) get a legal release from your contract. Otherwise I think you are now barred for up to 3 years from reentering Korea on a work visa (I'm not sure - maybe it's only one year)

Good luck
Canuckophile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: